Monday, October 8, 2007

There's no place like home



I'm back home after a fantastic weekend with my peeps. We have made this our little tradition; heading into the city without our husbands and kids for some girl time. Nobody leaves NYC without a Broadway show, loads of good food, fake purse shopping, and late night hilarity (that's when the REAL Stie comes out. If you haven't met her, you're missing out. She's much more fun than Daytime Stie).

It was great to reconnect - some of us haven't been together in three years, which was way too long. Adding to the fun was my adorable sister-in-law, Gabi, coming to meet us on Saturday for a show (although we would have kept you all weekend if Brad would have spared you, Gab). We saw The Drowsy Chaperone (HIGHLY recommend it, if it comes to your city. So, so cute). It was just the old fashioned Broadway that I love. Tap dancing, zany characters, soaring voices, and a wedding or two thrown in for kicks. It was a musical as they are meant to be done. We all absolutely loved it. The weekend was just what I have been needing. [Jackie, Cindy, and Bridget - you were sorely missed. We will not accept your excuses next time, trust me.]

We've all done NY a time or two, so this was merely a weekend spent eating, laughing, and catching up. We stayed in Times Square and shared our hotel with about a bazillion ladies in town for the breast cancer walk, all sporting large, pink cowboy hats. We walked through Central Park. We had a luxurious Sunday brunch at the top of the Marriott Marquee (for which my pocketbook has not yet recovered). It was a perfect weekend.

But the biggest adventure for me was the journey home. It seems I have had too long of a lucky streak in the travel department and was overdue for some misfortune and near-misses.

Let's just say this about the experience:

One cancelled flight + one flight re-booked on another airline = Racing to TWO different terminals to find the right gate.

Two different terminals + 1 suitcase + 1 purse = TWO long waits in security lines (AGAIN).

One cancelled flight + one stupid ticket counter person = Second leg of journey cancelled for you. [Oh, how nice. I always wanted to move to Washington, D.C. without my family. No, I don't need to get home, you IDIOT!]

One stupidly cancelled flight + no record of previous flight plans = One ANGRY, anxious, yelling Me.

Ten minutes of yelling, pleading, and explaining + shortened layover time [due to the First Lady flying into LaGuardia and causing the runway to be unusable until secured (yeah, Annie, my lone celebrity sighting: I saw her plane and security detail. Woo hoo.)] = Me RUNNING through Reagan Airport to catch my second plane, practically shoving people out of the way as I go.

One minute of begging to get to the front of security line (which I am now going through for the THIRD time in this stupid airport) + sprinting to my gate to catch a flight that was due to leave any second = Sweaty, sobbing heap of a mess. Me.

And nothing says WELCOME HOME, MOM! like a five-year-old throwing up all over the [yes, carpeted] stairs at two-thirty in the morning. WHY, WHY, WHYYYY couldn't she have done that on The Husband's watch? WHY? Oh, no. She saved that little ditty for my cleaning pleasure. I think it's her own private way of punishing me for leaving her alone with the men in this house and having some fun without her.

I think I need another vacation. Now.

16 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, Stie. No!!!!!!!

So it really was all too good to be true...you paid for all of us in bad luck.

Still. It was all worth it, no?

You have the best knack for turning your tragedies into entertainment for the rest of us...at least it made a good story.

Musings of a Housewife said...

Good lord, girl. That was no vacation. GAH!

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun...we must be related...our family ALWAYS has bad luck when we travel! At least you weren't recovering from a marathon while cleaning throw-up off the stairs. We missed you this weekend, though!

Bridget said...

Oh, how fun. Minus the flight home and the vomit of course. Love the little photo slideshow. I don't recall reading anything about the tofu, working out and grafitti cleaning though. Hmmm. And btw, who is Jackie? Did she move in after I moved out?

Scrapbooks by Amanda said...

Sounds like a great trip (except the nightmare trip home) and just the recharge needed to deal with vomit. On stairs. So sorry about that, but happy that you were able to get away for a couple days. So wonderful.

Diane said...

You must be related....GEEZ! Nothing like a little STRESS getting home!! I can see you running down the terminals and waiting in those long security lines wishing you could just scream!! Glad you made it home...FINALLY! Hope the throw up smell comes out of the carpet too. All in all, it made for a great blog entry! Love ya!

Jake said...

Stie...I am so sorry. The travel gods do not smile upon you. Ever. I remember when you were flying home to Minnesota with McKay and got stuck somewhere ridiculous.

And poor Hannah was just so excited she could not keep it down, huh?!

Still, I'm so glad you came to my neck of the woods. It was a mini-vacation just to hang with you guys...

mahina said...

sounds like you needed to stay just a little bit longer in New York! Then maybe you could have missed all of the running around at the airport and the cancelled flights and the first lady and the stupid check-in lady and the throw up clean-up.

new york sounds like it was wonderful! i've never been, hope to go!

i always need a vacation after a vacation just to wind down!

kelly said...

heavens! with all that running around, you definitley need a vacationf from the vacation!

Celia Fae said...

Reentry. It's a beast. I hope today is better, and you got something free out of all that hassle. I wonder, if you sent that blog entry to customer service, do you think you could get an upgrade or something?

Travelin'Oma said...

Is that what they call an "airport run?" Good thing you're a marathon girl.

J+S said...

I can't even remember how I found your site, but I love it! I especially love the collage of pictures that you have above your couch and wonder if you would share the dimensions of the frames and the overall dimensions. I was reading your post where you mention your sister-in-law and I think I know her and her husband (your brother?) Brad. I used to work with him at a company called Paria Group. Small world!

Lisa-Marie said...

Nothing says WELCOME HOME like throw up. Poor thing just knew she needed her Mommy when sick. So, really it was a compliment that she waited!

Who is your brother, what does he teach? Ever visit? I'll make you eclairs!

Hope tomorrow looks up for you!

Kimberly said...

I keep hinting to Devon that he needs to plan something extroadrinary for my 30th b-day. I think I need to show him this post as another hint--minus the bad airport experiences! Needless to say, I am glad you had a fun trip! Nothing like hanging out with the girls for a good time!

Emily said...

Oh, so sorry Stie. I wondered how you were faring as I sat quietly waiting to board my plane but I never imagined this. again, so sorry!

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

What a nice welcome home courtesy of Hannah. Poor girl (you and her).
But soooo fun that you got to party in NYC.