Monday, October 29, 2007

The many sides of Stie

As a wife, mother, sister, friend, den leader, neighbor, and more, I sometimes find it hard to define myself into just one particular category. I wear so many different hats, and find myself playing many roles. I am unable to find one nice, compartmentalized way to describe myself, so I thought I'd introduce you to all the many sides of Stie. Here are a few:

First, there is Mom Stie. Which actually can be broken further down into Angry Mom Stie, Nice Mom Stie, Teaching Mom Stie, Nurse/Cook/Chauffeur Mom Stie. You get the gist. But if you average all those Sties together, you get Mom Stie. Mom Stie loves her job. She really does. Even when she complains about it on the really bad days. Mom Stie cannot stand how fast her babies are growing up, yet she is so excited to see the little people they are becoming. Mom Stie relishes this job. She feels that finally, here is a job she is actually good at. She can nurse a bleeding cut, help with a homework project, tie a shoe, make dinner, answer the phone, paint a wall, and blog - ALMOST ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Next we have Wife Stie. She's pretty nice, too, most of the time. She tries to be supportive to a really great guy who works hard knowing she is at home, eating chocolate and blogging. She adores her husband and wonders all the time why he likes her. Both Wife and Mom Stie are very organized. They wrote the book on OCD. And even though Wife Stie has very limited abilities when it comes to cooking meat, she does make a mean cheesecake. Which makes it easy for her husband forget that his meat was dry, his vegetables were limp, and his pasta overcooked. Wife Stie is pretty handy to have around.

Then there's Morning Stie. She would be a much nicer person if she didn't have to make an appearance before seven a.m. When she's roused from deep sleep and the clock says six-anything (even six fifty-nine), she's a very unhappy camper. The best thing to do when you see her is eat your waffles quietly and not ask her to do anything. She will slowly vacate the premises when handed a diet coke, so that is your best strategy if you ever meet up with her.

Then there's Mean Stie. Trust me when I tell you, you don't want to mess with her. She only comes out when any form of Stie or her children have been trampled on. She is pretty spiteful, so we try to keep her locked up as much as possible. She's not very fun at parties. And she's actually really ugly. She frightens small children and old people.

Next we have Sexy Stie. She is really more of a smoke-screen persona - an illusion that Realistic Stie likes to create now and then. She struts her stuff all fancy-like at the grocery store and then Realistic Stie notices that she forgot to put on something critical like mascara or deodorant. Sexy Stie then goes away for a very long time.

One of my favorites is Late-Night Stie. She is the no-holds-barred, laugh until you pee kind of girl. She generally only makes appearances when it's late at night and Proper Stie has gone to bed. She is bawdy, loud, and thinks of herself as being quite funny. She oftentimes cannot stop laughing at any and all activity around her. Some people don't like Late-Night Stie. I do. I wish she came over more often.

There IS a Spiritual Stie (believe it or not). She is the quiet whispering voice in all the other Sties' ears. Occasionally, outside events will bring her out, but it generally takes quite a bit of coaxing. She has a mild touch of agoraphobia. She doesn't like to wear her personality on her sleeve, unlike alot of the other Sties. She's working on overcoming her shyness and trying to make more public appearances. But it's hard for her sometimes.

The Stie that does appear most often is Regular Stie. She loves her kids and husband, and quite cheerfully takes care of their needs. She is friendly, and eager to get together with girlfriends. She likes to read, blog, and scrapbook. She's pretty balanced, and is almost always in a good mood. She does have a problem with the chocolate though, which we're working on.

After this week is over. I promise.

So that's me in a nutshell (operative word being shell, not case). Who are you? Please do share all the parts that make up your personality (I know there has be to many). I'd love to find out that I'm not the only one who is mildly schizophrenic.

And so would I.

And I.

And I.

Me, too.

23 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Being new here, can I get a lesson is how to PRONOUNCE 'Stie'? There was a lot of Sties in this blog, and I kept trying out new variations...I'm settling for
Steeeah, but I'm not sure it's right?!

I think Grumpy Heidi might get along famously with Morning Stie. Provided there's no talk, of course.

Heidi :)

Christie said...

Heidi:

My name is actually Christie. The Stie part is merely the latter half of my name, prounounced STEE. Nickname came from my husband, and it's somehow stuck, only nobody but his family really calls me that.

Thanks for popping round; all the Stie's are glad to have you! :-)

Bridget said...

You are so funny! I LOVE late night Stie. You know the one that came out when we watched movies like Jackass or Rat Race late at night with your boys sleeping in our guest room. Oh, those were the dats. I'll have to try this meme.

danandcindy said...

You forgot to mention the omnipresent "Lame Stie". Which comes around whenever Stie's in the room... Or continuing on with the confused-on-the-pronunciation-of-Stie-thing, we could always talk about "Pig-Stie... pronounced - Sty"

Christie said...

B - I am so glad you know late-night Stie. She was out a lot at your house during those days. Still laugh thinking about it.

One word for you: Muriel.

Scrapbooks by Amanda said...

Loved this post!
To me there is my MOM hat: Some times I am happy, fun Mom; somtimes I am grumpy Mom,

HOMEMAKER hat:getting better at being the Best me. Made my daily to do list for the fridge. Kind of neurotic about my lits

WIFE hat:love being married to a great husband who is supportive and funny. we just don't get out as often as I would like.

HAIRSTYLIST hat:when I have this hat on, I love the independence and creativity that I have

I am with you on the morning hat but working on changing that. =) There is also my scrapper hat, but I haven't used it in awhile.

Kimberly said...

How do you come up with this stuff? You are so cute! Dan is such a tease! I'd like to see what he could come up with!

Michelle said...

Your morning Stei and my morning Mich would get along fine provided we could look crumpy and only mumble.

My sexy mich looks great and I love being her. The only problem is that my little man seems to like to hug her alot especially when he is dirty.

Too bad you don't live close, it would be fun to get our late nighters together for some fun. Bummer.

Travelin'Oma said...

I like Neil Diamond Stie. The one that comes out after 2am and crank calls people to say, "Hello, again, Hello. Just called to say hello."

Melain said...

Oh my goodness you are too adorable. This is a charming idea & FULL OF TRUTHS that most women can relate to. But not so many men. They're pretty much the same from the day they're born to the day they die and every day in between. It's a beautiful consistency.

laina kay said...

Such a great post... as usual! That's why... you've been tagged as One Sweet Treat to Read! Now you get to tag three of your favorites and put the little candy corn guy in your sidebar!

marta said...

hee hee! i just love your blogging ideas, stie. this was genius and the blogging stie always make me laugh.
3 am stie brings out my 3 am min... what happy memories happen in the wee hours.

i love all your many sides. they all inspire me!

TheCatLord said...

i am gonna come out of lurkdom for this one. so let me first introduce lurker lisa. she likes to read many blogs just for the enjoyment of reading, but rarely comments. she likes meeting new people through blogs and seeing into their everyday lives, probably to make her forget the fact that there are 6 children running around her house even if just for a minute. lurker lisa especially likes reading stie's blog because stie makes her laugh. lurker lisa and shy lisa are tied together because they both like to sit back and listen to others talk while they just take everything in unless tired lisa is around. when tired lisa is around she basically skims through blogs, conversations, and life itself. unfortunately, tired lisa presents herself quite a bit lately because denial lisa won't let her rest. denial lisa seems to think that tired lisa can get through an entire day of homeschooling and housework on 4-5 hours of sleep. both mommy and wife lisa get into a lot of trouble listening to denial lisa. and now she is at it again! she just made mommy lisa type this long post when she was really supposed to be cooking dinner oiy!

Pedaling said...

i have alot in common w/the regular stie -but love the late night stie, don't we all just need to let our hair down, be loud and enjoy life uninhibited?
i've got the spiritual - maybe not so shy about it.
there's also a political me another one not shy about, but try not to offend, most days.
the morning me is good, right after i have my coke, like you, i like my caffeine cold.
i think the mommy me and wife me pass the test (most days)
home maker me improves each year as long as you don't count anything to do w/a sewing machine - but the cooking has greatly improved.
thats it -thanks for letting me play.

Jake said...

You forgot Cheating Stie...not the infidelity kind, just the card game variety.

And Auntie Stie who drove from Boston to take care of two little twinkies (plus their older siblings, exhausted papa and overwhelmed momma) soon after their arrival on planet Earth.

Also, Thanksgiving Stie who makes the BEST turkey dinner and enjoys every bite baking around the clock!! Can't wait to see you again soon....

p.s. I think you need a third blog called "Award Stie" for all your cool prizes!

Holly said...

Well, Sybil...I mean Stie, I'd like to hang with Late-Night Stie fer shure. Morning Holly would sip coffee as quietly as possible with Morning Stie too.

All the Sties mingle well and all make up a pretty special All-Around Stie. :)

Jessica said...

Very very fun idea...I need OCD Stie to come help Disorganized Jessica. Cooking Jessica will pay you back with really good meals. And I will laugh until I pee with Late Night Stie. You can be Cheating Stie with my husband (THE CARD KIND!) because he likes to do that too!

Lisa said...

What a funny post Stie! So fun.
I think I would get along very well with Morning Stie...she's my kind of girl!

Unknown said...

That was a great blog! I love getting to know the Stie that I've "known" my whole life better! You are GREAT!

Celia Fae said...

Hey, do we get to pick a Stie? I'd like to see Mean Stie, because I have some mean in me too that I try to repress. I could use lessons. Could you provide them?

Darilyn said...

I love this and it's something that I think of a lot. I'm going to try this on my blog. Thanks for giving us a peek into your persona.

Emily said...

Hope your still reading these comments. Loved this blog. Just heard a bit on NPR with this psychologist who worked with a woman with something like 22 different personalities. He started talking about how each personality dealt with a different type of situation and I thought, hey, that sounds uncomfortably close to how I act. Fortunately he explained that everybody has different "personalities" for different situations. The difference between us (you) and the real psychos is only that we KNOW we have them. So, as long as you can list 'em, you're probably okay. Although when I see 2a.m. Stie come out I'm not so sure, but I feel strangely at home with her!

mahina said...

somehow i missed this post and just read it now! i love this! i might do it on my blog if i can actually come to terms with all my sides and be okay with knowing they exist. i think i'm in denial of all my sides!