Friday, October 12, 2007

It's the Eye of the Tiger (only without the raw eggs)

Meet the running coaches, clipboards in hand. They SEEM very intent in their work:
The coaches have a most serious training regimen; including running, "wates" [weights], and working hard. Notice working hard has not been checked off yet. Breaking a sweat and coughing up a lung don't count as hard work around here.

Now who is our fine, stellar athlete, you ask? Why, it's none other than McKay. Gearing up for his elementary school cross country meet. He has to run a mile - and be in the top 40 to win a medal (which his competitive nature is counting on). His pace today was a 9-minute mile.

The big race is tomorrow. Wish my little guy good luck.

P.S. Do not be fooled by the intensity of our coaching staff. These kids will do ANYTHING for a little afternoon of Sponge Bob on the telly.

Even exercise.

Or pretend to coach.

12 comments:

Bridget said...

That is so cute. Way to go McKay for following in his mama's running footsteps. Let us know how it goes.

Diane said...

He looks pretty serious, as do the coaches! Say Good Luck to McKay...we'll be cheering for him! Maybe he'll be your marathon buddy.

Unknown said...

A 9-minute mile is pretty impressive! The coaches definitely look intense...I need a running coach to motivate me and check off all the stuff I need to do. It's way too easy to cheat otherwise!

Michael said...

With short legs, nine minutes has got to be pretty good. In elementary school, I was the motivational runner for the overweight and slow kids... It worked out nicely, never having to actually run fast, and being commended by my teachers for the motivation given. Why they chose me...? Also, if I were home every afternoon, Sponge Bob would definitely always be on...tell your kids to come on over whenever they want.

Celia Fae said...

I love the posing. Those coaches look pretty intense. Who knew bossing around your big brother could be so fun? I hope it went well today. He'd beat my kids.

Travelin'Oma said...

Run, run as fast as you can!
You can't catch Mac...he's the Marathon Man!

marta said...

wishing him to be a swift runner, just like his mama! go team!

marta said...

so cute! i guess it's in the genes...

Michelle said...

I'm a little late to wish him luck but how did he do?

It is always great when our kids get involved in stuff like this.

Michelle said...

I'm a little late to wish him luck but how did he do?

It is always great when our kids get involved in stuff like this.

anna jo said...

that's great; I love it! I hope mckay won a medal.

Unknown said...

I don't think I'd want them for MY personal trainers. Brutal, I'm sure. :-)