Tuesday, March 27, 2007

midnight worries

Ever crawl into bed exhausted, and your mind STARTS GOING A MILE A MINUTE AND YOU JUST CAN'T TURN IT OFF? Why do we mothers do this to ourselves? Here are some of the things running through my head last night that prevented me from falling asleep until about one o'clock a.m.:

  • Did my kids feel loved today?
  • What time is the spring concert on Thursday?
  • Why did I eat all those STUPID cookies?
  • Will I survive the dental visits next week in which all my childhood fillings are replaced?
  • Am I getting sick?
  • My allergies seem really bad right now. Should I see someone here for that?
  • I wonder what time my meeting is tomorrow.
  • What day is my turn for treats at baseball?
  • Does Josh have any clean shirts for work?
  • How can I make reading more fun for Chase?
  • Why DID I eat that?
  • Maisy, Maisy, Maisy.
  • I hope my toe doesn't hurt too bad to run.
  • I don't know what I'll do if I can't run.
  • Running is my sole physical release. I. MUST. RUN.
  • Should I do laundry tomorrow or the next day?
  • I should have done the laundry today. I won't be home all day tomorrow.
  • I wish I didn't have the theme song from "Maisy" in my head. I HATE that song. Maisy, Maisy, Maisy - Maisy - Mouse!
  • Seriously.
  • Which house should we buy?
  • How will we know it's the house?
  • How will the kids survive this move?
  • Was I patient enough with the kids today?
  • Is my cell phone charged? Is the kids' phone charged?
  • I wonder if I have time tomorrow to run to Michael's. Gotta get that new job chart finished.
  • When will I have time tomorrow to make dinner?
  • Maybe we should have pizza for dinner tomorrow.
  • Did I close the garage door?
  • Did I lock the back door?
  • What was that noise?
  • What if I die in my sleep tonight?
  • What if someone breaks into the house and kills only me because I'm awake and could identify them?
  • What if I have cancer and I don't know it?
  • Wonder if the sun is coming up somewhere in the world right now.
  • Maybe I should get up and have a bath.
  • Are the kids covered up? It might be cold tonight. They'll probably get in bed with us if they're not covered up.
  • Did we set the alarm clock?

Don't you just hate these kinds of nights? I don't have them very often, thank goodness. I don't know how I'd survive without my sleep. Hopefully tonight I'll be so tired that I'll crash right when my head hits the pillow...

5 comments:

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

i know exactly what you mean! i have nights like that! mine usually happen when i wake up at 2am and can't get back to sleep. sooooo annoying!

Annie said...

I'm with you on this. Once my brain gets going, it will not stop worrying, especially at night. What a good idea for a post :). I have seen you in action with your kids---they definitely feel loved. The rest will work itself out ;)

Portrait of Peter said...

You have my sympathy - I know all to well what you mean.

Although I hasten to add I don't think the same things!!

I find myself drinking a mug of horlicks - sometimes helps.

I sometimes feel I could achieve so much during bedtime if my mind was able to undertake all the thoughts of creative ideas, stories, poems etc etc.

What news on your toe?

mama jo said...

no wonder you don't sleep, that's a long list...but, good luck the list just gets longer...

Travelin'Oma said...

The story of my life. Call me. I'm always up after midnight. In fact, put it on your list!