Wednesday, February 28, 2007

please let this plague pass by our house

I got a call from a friend yesterday warning us that they have lice. That's right, I said lice. And we have spent time playing with these friends in the last few weeks.

NOW. I. CANNOT. STOP. THE. ITCHING.

Took the boys for an immediate haircut (cutting their hair very short) to hopefully eliminate the possibility of them getting it. Hannah has been combed over and picked at like she's a baby chimpanzee.

So far, we appear to be nit-free.

PRAY for me that we remain that way.

We had our turn with this vile pest a year and a half ago, and I think I am still emotionally scarred from it. Truthfully, it is not that big of a deal, but it is SUCH A PAIN that I can't bear getting it again.

All the washing of the linens. And the washing of stuffed animals. And the vacuuming of furniture. And the spraying. And the shampooing. Oh, and the nit-picking. For hours. Days. Weeks, it seems. And every little absent-minded scratch of the head sends me into a frenzied round of head checking. Please, if there is a god in heaven, DO NOT let us get it.

It does lead me to wonder...could this explain Britney Spears' new hairdo? Probably makes picking nits much easier if there's no hair to do it in. Hmmm...

6 comments:

Musings of a Housewife said...

EW! EW! EW! Hope you manage to steer clear!

Travelin'Oma said...

Are lice the same as fleas? Because what little sister hasn't thought her brothers had fleas? And what brother has not announced that his sister had fleas? This could open a new world of communication! (Oh, btw, we can't come in March...)

Christie said...

Uh, I said we DIDN'T have it...you can always come visit!

Anonymous said...

Lice sounds horrible! At school in England, we had lice checks a lot. It always scared me. I can only imagine where your mind is taking you... I'm feeling them right now. Yikes. Good luck with that.

Melissa Angert {All Things Chic} said...

ewwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
hope you all stay bug-free!!

Portrait of Peter said...

You have got me worried now?

People may think that I have head lice too - what with my grade 1 - haircut.

Truth is what can one do - with hair loss like mine? I had thought of "monastic" life - but a monk - but I would only be allowed to smoke my "cherry & vanilla" pipe tobacco - on their "feast days".

Luv the post, as indeed all of them.